Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Recipe of the day!

I have realized that it can take me some time to write a blog post. Days pass, moods change and what I sometimes plan to write about is no longer pertinent in the moment that I actually have time to write it. My plate is continuously overflowing. So I have decided to empty it here..... and offer a recipe of the day every Tuesday.
Healthy eating has been a part of my life for years now. My love affair with food started with a position as a server at L'Ecole. Part of the French Culinary Institute in New York City, this restaurant boasts a 4-5 course meal cooked by students of culinary arts. Food had to be cooked in order to learn, so it was not uncommon to end my shift with a chocolate creme brulee or my favorite tart au citron! As a mom, I need to come up with new ideas and love affairs for my palette. And they need to be fast, fresh and healthy.
So, here it goes :)

Red cabbage salad with lime vinaigrette



Ingredients:
1/2 head of shredded cabbage
2 shredded carrots or sweet potatoes
4 chopped scallions
handful of sunflower seeds
handful of cashews
6 cleaned and chopped mushrooms

Dressing:
Juice of 2 limes
3 cloves of garlic (crushed in garlic press)
3 chunks of fresh ginger (crushed in garlic press)
safflower oil (read below)
chopped cilantro
salt to taste

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
In a smaller bowl add all of the dressing ingredients and stir. I use about 5 tablespoons of oil, I kind of wing this part though, adding less oil than lime juice. Keep tasting your dressing until you find a nice balance, not too sour, a nice citrus kick is what you're after.

No comments:

Post a Comment